Grabbing a bite to eat with friends, going on a date – even something as basic as chilling out with a coffee and enjoying a cheeky slice of cake, feels like an activity from another lifetime right now. But with vaccines being rolled out, hope – and good times – are very much on the horizon. So why not get your plans ready and raring to go?
Ok, so you can’t go out and about discovering Bolton’s best places to eat for yourself right now, but you can put the research in, so you know exactly where you’re heading as soon as lockdown restrictions lift. And what could be a better way to celebrate returning to some sense of normality than with a great feed!
Always keen to help, our team of food lovers here at Orlando Village, have pulled together a selection of favourites. So, sit back, put your feet up, and keep reading to discover what’s on Bolton’s menu…
Study breaks and brunch
- The Coffee Grind – originally just in Bolton market, this popular coffee haunt now has a second premise on Newport Street. Not only does it offer good coffee, it also serves an extensive selection of teas, breakfast bites, sandwiches, paninis, frappes and milkshakes.
- Chill @ the cowshed – a great place to do just that, chill. With everything from peppermint tea and good old Tetley’s to more hard-hitting expressos (and an alcohol license from 11.00am), Chill is a must for breakfast, lunch or afternoon tea. There’s even an ice cream parlour with over 40 rotating flavours of luxury dairy ice cream. Reckon you could work your way through them all?
- Earthlings – this vegetarian and vegan café, perched at the end of Darwen Road shopping parade is a fabulous find. Everything from their creamy coconut oats to the superfood wrap, loaded chilli nachos and selection of sweet treats, tastes amazing! And the best bit? All the food served is made in house using only natural, organic and refined, sugar-free, whole food.
- Taste of Greece – not been on holiday for a while? Craving some Greek flavours? This fab little café offers excellent value for money with big meaty portions!
- Nkono – self-acclaimed ‘straight talking, lip smackin’ authentic African cuisine. Definitely one to try.
- Misto Trattoria and Pizzeria – a hidden gem offering freshly baked oven pizzas alongside a great selection of pasta, risotto and meat dishes at affordable prices. Yum-to-the-e.
- Olympus – everyone loves a chippy tea, right? Well Olympus is amongst the best. This award-winning restaurant offers a more upmarket take on fish and chips than your average chippy, but still provides excellent value for money.
- Carrs pasties – you can’t get a proper taste for Bolton without trying a pasty. Grab one from one of Carrs’ 3 popular bakeries about town or try Ye olde Pastie Shoppe – a Bolton institution. Both offer mouth-watering pasties, meat pies and comfort food at it’s very best.
For a big night out (or for when the folks visit!)
- The Northern – celebrity chef and local lad, Paul Heathcote’s restaurant at the Albert Halls champions ‘proper northern classics’ but always with an eye on the very latest ingredients. Think fish pie, traditional English trifle and bread and butter pudding.
- Provenance – the clue is in the name. A food hall, café and deli, all rolled into one. There are steak nights, Sunday roasts and afternoon tea, with the majority of food locally sourced.
- The Court House – claims to be Bolton’s most exciting venue to dine, drink and dance and we’d be inclined to agree. This vibrant venue offers a globally inspired menu alongside mind-blowing cocktails. Try the Pornstar martini!
- Statement – and make a statement it does! Sister restaurant to the Provenance (which is right next door). This venue offers everything from weekend breakfasts fit for a king, right through to cocktails, a la carte delicacies and a superb Sunday lunch.
Got a favourite venue we’ve not mentioned? Tell us about it!
All this talk of food making you hungry? Loads of places – including many of those listed here – are offering a takeaway service during lockdown. So why not treat yourself and give a few a try…all in the name of research of course?!
Get in touch
Is there anything worse than a great night out, a belly full of food and drink, and then not being able to get a taxi home? Not an issue if you stay with Orlando Village. Our student accommodation is in an ideal spot putting you in within easy walking distance of the main university campus, shops and Bolton’s extensive choice of restaurants.
Stylish rooms, communal areas and a fab location are just some of the many benefits of being part of the Orlando community. Take a look at our accommodation now and if you’ve any questions (including what’s the name of our team’s favourite place to eat?) we’ll be happy to help.
Talk to us today on 01204 9030 488, email email@example.com or fill in our contact form and we’ll be back in touch.